Supporting In-House Legal Operations
Estimates suggest that businesses lose 10% of their profits in ‘revenue leakage’* - money the company is due that is never collected. Much of this is due to failures in the management of contracts and contract terms, and other legal processes. For example, discounts that are not applied or contracts that are not renegotiated at the right time.
Our Consultancy Division helps in-house legal teams tackle these issues to deliver immediate commercial benefits. We also help: improve the effectiveness and efficiency of legal teams; drive greater satisfaction with the legal function; demonstrate return on investment more clearly; and enable in-house lawyers to focus on higher value, strategic activities.
Bespoke technology for the modern legal function
We use sophisticated technology specifically designed to meet the needs of a modern legal function. Over the years, we have developed dozens of tools to help manage legal projects better and to report on progress. These tools have evolved into an award-winning proprietary platform that we call CrossLITETM.
CrossLITETM allows attorneys, business analysts and others without programming expertise to quickly and easily create workflow, project management, reporting and other streamlining applications in minutes or hours rather than days or weeks. The software is used by clients that include Avis, Red Robin and major banks to transform the efficiency and effectiveness of their in-house legal operations.
Helping in-house teams keep one step ahead
As well as the constant pressure to deliver more for less, we know that staying ahead of the latest developments in the legal market is a major challenge for in-house teams. The use of artificial intelligence, machine-learning and mobile technologies, combined with the increased use of cutting-edge process improvement and project management techniques, is transforming the way in which legal services are delivered. Given the rapid pace of change, in-house teams sometimes struggle to identify which new technologies to adopt and which are passing fads.
Our legal technologists, software developers, process improvement specialists and legal project managers include globally recognised thought-leaders in the market. Through tried and tested facilitated workshops and reviews, and using a consultancy approach that has been successful across organisations in a wide range of different sectors, they help in-house legal teams stay ahead of the rapidly changing legal market.
They do this by highlighting performance issues, prioritising improvements and identifying best practice approaches to tackle issues. They can also advise on which technologies are best placed to tackle specific issues and help establish measures and dashboards to monitor improvements.
Delivering step-changes in performance
Our work with in-house teams has delivered step changes in performance and driven significant commercial benefits to clients.
For example, our systems have enabled in-house teams to ensure 100% of high-impact contracts follow the company’s approved processes and deliver over 90% of their contracts on-time. In addition, the in-house legal functions have been able to accurately measure performance for the first time.
* The International Association of Commercial Contract Managers (IACCM) estimates that companies lose 10 per cent from their bottom line through ineffective contract management.
- Amongst the first to use artificial intelligence in the delivery of legal advice
- Pioneered radical pricing approaches that cut clients’ costs and increased fee certainty
- The first law firm to create a contract lawyer solution that broke new ground in the legal market
- The first law firm to create a division dedicated to solving legal operations problems through a combination of process, proprietary technology, andknow-how
- The only major global law firm to have built a proprietary workflow system for in-house legal teams
- Launched the first ‘managed legal service’ solution from a law firm to enable cost reduction through a fixed-fee outsourcing of a clients’ legal function
- Twice named the ‘World’s Most Innovative Law Firm’ by the International Legal Technology Association
- Ranked ‘Most Innovative Law Firm’ by Legal Business in 2017
- Named as a Value Champion by the Association of Corporate Counsel in recognition of driving value in the delivery of legal services through our work with client Red Robin to design, build and implement a comprehensive contract management system
- The first firm to win a case in the UK High Court using predictive coding technology
- BCLP Cubed Highly Commended by ‘Financial Times’ Innovative Lawyers: Europe Awards
- BCLP Cubed won the award for Best Business Innovation at the UK Managing Partner Forum Awards 2020
- Katie DeBord won the 2019 ABA Women of Legal Tech award
- BCLP won the AI Innovation Award at the Legal Week Innovation Awards 2019
- We won two awards at the 2019 Missouri Lawyer awards. One for BCLP Cubed’s Accelerated Review Team (ART) and the other for a joint venture between BCLP and Thompson Coburn LLP in the ‘new services or products that support Missouri’s legal community’ category for a their joint B-Ceen project.
- FT Innovative Lawyers North America 2018, Standout Awards in the Data, Knowledge & Intelligence and the Managing & Developing Talent categories
- Artificial Intelligence Innovation Award (Legal Week Innovation Awards, 2018)
- USA Fintech Banking Law Firm of the Year Award Winner (Finance Monthly Fintech Awards 2018)
- Highest-ranked law firm for innovation (Legal Business survey of 9,000 clients, 2017)
- Top 10 ‘game changer’ of the past 10 years (FT Innovative Lawyers 2015)
- Value Champion Award in recognition of driving value in the delivery of legal services through our work with client Red Robin to design, build and implement a comprehensive contract management system (Association of Corporate Counsel 2016)
- Christian Zust named ‘Young Professional of the Year’ (International Legal Technology Association Distinguished Peer Awards 2016)
- Finalist: Legal Innovator of the Year (Legal Business Awards 2015)
- Finalist: Best Leadership of Innovation (MPF Awards for Management Excellence 2015)
- Innovative Law Firm of the Year (International Legal Technology Association Distinguished Peer Awards 2014)
- Ranked 5th: Most Innovative Law Firm in Europe (FT Innovative Lawyers Awards, 2014)
- Commended: Innovation of the Year (Modern Law Awards, 2014)
- 'Standout’: Most Innovative Law Firm in Value Resourcing (FT Innovative Lawyers Awards, 2014)
- Commended: Most Innovative Law Firm in Corporate Strategy (FT Innovative Lawyers Awards, 2014)
- Commended: Most Innovative Law Firm in Dispute Resolution (FT Innovative Lawyers Awards 2014)
- Commended: Most Innovative Law Firm in Corporate & Commercial (FT Innovative Lawyers Awards 2014)
- Finalist: Law Firm Innovation Award (British Legal Awards 2014)
- Ranked in the top ten most innovative law firms in Europe (FT Innovative Lawyers Awards 2013)
- Innovative Law Firm of the Year (International Legal Technology Association Distinguished Peer Awards 2011)
- “The people are very client-focused; they’re very proactive in coming forward with solutions and always very responsive.”
- “We have the utmost faith in [BCLP] to understand the issue and present a solution.”
- “They feel like part of our business ... They are aware of our performance and are driven to help improve it.”
- “They feel like part of our business … They are aware of our performance and are driven to help improve it.”
- “[BCLP] worked with us to build a complete solution that included not only legal advice but also the processes and technologies necessary to put that advice into action. Their work has improved our law department’s functioning and relationship with the business units, and ultimately [our] revenues.”
- “We wanted risk-takers and partners that would be willing to work with us to create a new model for managing the law firm/in-house relationship.”
- “When we had finished designing the process together we realized it would be far more efficient that the process we operate today. As lawyers we like to think our work can’t be replicated, but once you see the scope and how far it can go, it’s exciting.”
- “No-one else has set out the relevant issues as clear as BLP.”
- “BCLP has created technology solutions that we as a law department actually need. You can tell that the technology was developed by lawyers for lawyers.”