Steven Smith is the Managing Partner of the Colorado Springs office. His practice focuses on sports law, including naming rights, sponsorships, licensing agreements, stadium operations, television and media contracts, and representing leagues and National Governing Bodies. Mr. Smith has been recognized as a "Leader in His Field" for Sports Law by Chambers USA 2011.
- Naming Rights Agreements. Mr. Smith has advised, and negotiated on behalf of, both corporate sponsors and sports properties on all aspects of naming rights agreements. The total value of those agreements exceeds $1B. Representative deals include Progressive Field (Cleveland), Oracle Arena (Oakland), Ameriquest Field (Arlington, TX), Qwest Field (Seattle), the 02 (London), Honda Center (Anaheim), Bank of America Stadium (Carolina), Qwest Arena (Boise) and TD Ameritrade Park (Omaha).
- Sponsorships and Licensing Agreements. Mr. Smith has completed sponsorship and licensing agreements valued in excess of $1.5B. He has advised VISA, USA, and Progressive Insurance on general sponsorship matters. He also represented Ameriquest in its sponsorship of the Super Bowl Halftime Show, several major league baseball teams and the California Speedway. Mr. Smith has also been heavily involved in sponsorships with National Governing Bodies, including USA Swimming's recent sponsorships with AT&T, BMW and Marriott, as well as U.S. Speedskating's deals with Verizon and The Colbert Nation.
- Stadium Operations. A central part of Mr. Smith's practice includes advising clients on contracts involving stadium operations, such as ticketing, concessions, pouring rights, advertising, and television.
- Television and Media Contracts. Mr. Smith has represented a number of sports properties in all aspects of television and media agreements. He has completed deals with most major sports networks, including ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox Sports, ESPN, ESPN2, and OLN/Versus, both domestically and internationally. In 2007, he completed negotiations on the LPGA-TOA television revenue sharing agreements. He has also advised clients on a number of agreements involving transmission of events over the Internet and other digital media.
- Leagues and National Governing Bodies. Mr. Smith currently represents a number of leagues, such as the Pacific Coast League of Professional Baseball Clubs, as well as International Federations and National Governing Bodies in the Olympic movement. He regularly advises clients on athlete eligibility matters, agreements for use of athlete images, team selection, sponsorships and licensing agreements, event agreements, television and other media deals, protection of intellectual property, and general issues of corporate law.