Purposefully structured for innovation
Our solutions-based approach to innovation is based on fully understanding our clients’ challenges and thinking differently about how we can help to meet them.
Our track record of leading the legal industry stretches back decades and it is part of our core business strategy to deliver services in a way that meets our clients’ operational and business objectives. As part of our expertise in innovative legal service delivery, we have a dedicated consultancy division that assists law departments with their legal operations challenges.
Leading the legal industry
Our innovations have helped shape the legal industry. We were early adopters of artificial intelligence and were the first to win a case in the UK High Court using predictive coding technology. We pioneered radical pricing approaches to cut clients’ costs and increase fee certainty. We created a contract lawyer solution that broke new ground and formed the first managed legal service partnerships with clients. And we created an award-winning workflow platform for use by in-house legal teams.
As a result, we’ve been named the ‘World’s Most Innovative Law Firm’ multiple times by leading legal publications and institutions on both sides of the Atlantic.
A client-focused innovation engine
Building on this success, we have created an engine for client-focused innovation that is second to none and touches every part of our firm worldwide.
To keep this up-to-date, we continually monitor developments to find new ways to improve our approach. We have a team of forward-thinking lawyers that tests new technology and establishes how it might be used in the future. In addition, we host regular, high-profile workshops with senior corporate counsel, in-house directors of legal operations and legal innovation specialists to share knowledge, best practice and experience with legal technology.
That is why, around the world, we are thought-leaders in legal innovation and why clients look to us to find new ways to solve their commercial and legal challenges.
- Amongst the first to use artificial intelligence in the delivery of legal advice
- Pioneered radical pricing approaches that cut clients’ costs and increased fee certainty
- The first law firm to create a contract lawyer solution that broke new ground in the legal market
- The first law firm to create a division dedicated to solving legal operations problems through a combination of process, proprietary technology, andknow-how
- The only major global law firm to have built a proprietary workflow system for in-house legal teams
- Launched the first ‘managed legal service’ solution from a law firm to enable cost reduction through a fixed-fee outsourcing of a clients’ legal function
- Twice named the ‘World’s Most Innovative Law Firm’ by the International Legal Technology Association
- Ranked ‘Most Innovative Law Firm’ by Legal Business in 2017
- Named as a Value Champion by the Association of Corporate Counsel in recognition of driving value in the delivery of legal services through our work with client Red Robin to design, build and implement a comprehensive contract management system
- The first firm to win a case in the UK High Court using predictive coding technology
- Kristi Smith named ‘Young Professional of the Year’ by International Legal Technology Association Distinguished Peer Awards 2020
- BCLP Cubed Highly Commended by ‘Financial Times’ Innovative Lawyers: Europe Awards
- BCLP Cubed won the award for Best Business Innovation at the UK Managing Partner Forum Awards 2020
- Katie DeBord won the 2019 ABA Women of Legal Tech award
- BCLP won the AI Innovation Award at the Legal Week Innovation Awards 2019
- We won two awards at the 2019 Missouri Lawyer awards. One for BCLP Cubed’s Accelerated Review Team (ART) and the other for a joint venture between BCLP and Thompson Coburn LLP in the ‘new services or products that support Missouri’s legal community’ category for a their joint B-Ceen project.
- FT Innovative Lawyers North America 2018, Standout Awards in the Data, Knowledge & Intelligence and the Managing & Developing Talent categories
- Artificial Intelligence Innovation Award (Legal Week Innovation Awards, 2018)
- USA Fintech Banking Law Firm of the Year Award Winner (Finance Monthly Fintech Awards 2018)
- Highest-ranked law firm for innovation (Legal Business survey of 9,000 clients, 2017)
- Top 10 ‘game changer’ of the past 10 years (FT Innovative Lawyers 2015)
- Value Champion Award in recognition of driving value in the delivery of legal services through our work with client Red Robin to design, build and implement a comprehensive contract management system (Association of Corporate Counsel 2016)
- Christian Zust named ‘Young Professional of the Year’ (International Legal Technology Association Distinguished Peer Awards 2016)
- Finalist: Legal Innovator of the Year (Legal Business Awards 2015)
- Finalist: Best Leadership of Innovation (MPF Awards for Management Excellence 2015)
- Innovative Law Firm of the Year (International Legal Technology Association Distinguished Peer Awards 2014)
- Ranked 5th: Most Innovative Law Firm in Europe (FT Innovative Lawyers Awards, 2014)
- Commended: Innovation of the Year (Modern Law Awards, 2014)
- 'Standout’: Most Innovative Law Firm in Value Resourcing (FT Innovative Lawyers Awards, 2014)
- Commended: Most Innovative Law Firm in Corporate Strategy (FT Innovative Lawyers Awards, 2014)
- Commended: Most Innovative Law Firm in Dispute Resolution (FT Innovative Lawyers Awards 2014)
- Commended: Most Innovative Law Firm in Corporate & Commercial (FT Innovative Lawyers Awards 2014)
- Finalist: Law Firm Innovation Award (British Legal Awards 2014)
- Ranked in the top ten most innovative law firms in Europe (FT Innovative Lawyers Awards 2013)
- Innovative Law Firm of the Year (International Legal Technology Association Distinguished Peer Awards 2011)
- “The people are very client-focused; they’re very proactive in coming forward with solutions and always very responsive.”
- “We have the utmost faith in [BCLP] to understand the issue and present a solution.”
- “They feel like part of our business ... They are aware of our performance and are driven to help improve it.”
- “They feel like part of our business … They are aware of our performance and are driven to help improve it.”
- “[BCLP] worked with us to build a complete solution that included not only legal advice but also the processes and technologies necessary to put that advice into action. Their work has improved our law department’s functioning and relationship with the business units, and ultimately [our] revenues.”
- “We wanted risk-takers and partners that would be willing to work with us to create a new model for managing the law firm/in-house relationship.”
- “When we had finished designing the process together we realized it would be far more efficient that the process we operate today. As lawyers we like to think our work can’t be replicated, but once you see the scope and how far it can go, it’s exciting.”
- “No-one else has set out the relevant issues as clear as BLP.”
- “BCLP has created technology solutions that we as a law department actually need. You can tell that the technology was developed by lawyers for lawyers.”