Zeke Katz is an attorney in the Commercial Disputes group. He primarily focuses his practice on defense litigation involving a variety of subject matters, including complex civil, construction, professional liability and employment litigation. Mr. Katz takes great satisfaction in supporting his clients through challenging situations when they are most in need of sensible and confident legal guidance. He is experienced in leading clients through all stages of litigation, including pre-suit evaluations, all phases of written discovery and depositions, drafting dispositive motions, arguing motions in state and federal court, negotiating settlements, and preparing for trial.
Mr. Katz was instrumental in representing a global law firm in a legal malpractice suit involving loan agreements totaling over $100 million, reaching settlement after completing expert discovery and preparing for trial. He has also represented insurance brokers and agents against claims of malpractice including alleged failures to provide policies to cover losses or failures to communicate coverage.
Mr. Katz’s work also includes Employment and Labor matters. He has litigated cases for employers facing ERISA violation claims as well as allegations of Title VII discrimination, hostile work environment and wrongful termination. He also performs confidential internal investigations for employers and municipal organizations regarding alleged harassment, employee disputes and policy violations.
For insurance industry matters, Mr. Katz has represented major insurance providers in property damage, personal injury and other general liability matters, including insurance coverage and bad faith claims.
Through his work in construction he has also represented a demolition contractor in a complex property damage suit for over $1 million in damages. In addition, he represented a contractor in a substantial construction defect claim by achieving a successful and amicable resolution via mediation with multiple parties. He has also represented a property owner in a declaratory judgement action which arose from a disputed insurance coverage for a subcontractor in a large scale construction defect suit.
In law school, Zeke earned a Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution Certificate in addition to his law degree. He served as Vice President of the Chicago-Kent College of Law Moot Court Honor Society and won first place for Oral Argument and runner up for Best Respondent Brief in the Evan A. Evans Constitutional Law Moot Court Competition in Madison, Wisconsin.
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel (IDC)
- “Deliberate Encounter Exception to the Open and Obvious Doctrine Applies Where Delivery Driver Worked Quickly” and “Distraction Exception to the Open and Obvious Doctrine May Apply Where a Customer is Browsing,” Tort Law Cases, IDC Survey of Law (2016)
- “Clash of the Titans: The Interaction of the Wrongful Death Act, Statute of Repose, Statute of Limitations and the Discovery Rule,” Medical Malpractice Update, IDC Quarterly, Vol. 26, No. 3 (2016)
- “Electronic Health Records and E-Discovery: A Primer for Defense Counsel,” Medical Malpractice Update, IDC Quarterly, Vol. 26, No. 1 (2016)
- “Keeping Physicians’ Staff Privilege Files Exempt from Discovery: What Tools Are Available to Defense Counsel?” Medical Malpractice Update, IDC Quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 3 (2015)
- “Medical Record Discovery: Some Things You May Not Know,” Medical Malpractice Update, IDC Quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 1 (2015)
- “Chapter 6 - Impaired Earning Capacity: Defendant’s Perspective,” Proving and Disproving Damages in Personal Injury Cases, IICLE (2015)